Leland Tyler Wayne who is professionally known as ‘Metro Boomin‘ is an American record producer, DJ, and Record executive. He was born on 16th September 1993. He is widely known for his dark production style and its influence on modern hip-hop and trap. He is one of the greatest producers .
|Full Name||Leland Tyler Wayne|
|Professional Name||Metro Boomin|
|Birth Place||St.Louis, Missouri, United States|
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Height||5 feet 11 inches|
|Mother||Leslie Joanna Wayne|
|Profession||DJ,Executive, Record Producer|
|High School||Parkway North High School|
|College||Morehouse College Atlanta, United States|
|Total Music Videos||76|
His Early Life
- Metro Boomin was born on September 16, 1993, in St Louis, Missouri, US.His family is originally from Atlanta, Georgia, US. He has a total of four siblings.
- Sadly his parents divorced when Boomin was just in third grade. Afterward, he was raised by his mother.
- He went to ‘ Parkway North High School’ in St.Louis County & started playing bass guitar in his middle-school band.
- When Boomin was just 13 years old his mother brought a laptop for him, he learned to create beats on his laptop through the music production software named ‘Fruity Loops ‘
- Slowly he turned his full attention toward hip-hop production. Despite being in high school, he began to utilize online social media platforms to network with more established rap artists and submitted for his music placements.
Journey to fame
- At only 19 years old, he wrote the Future’s hit track ‘Karate Chop’, featuring Lil Wayne, from the Future’s album ‘ Honest’. It became a worldwide hit when Boomin was a freshman at the prestigious ‘Morehouse College.
- Producer Metro Boomin dropped out of college to pursue a career in music production. He was unable to balance his work as a music producer and a college freshman, so he decided to drop out of the University of Maryland to pursue music production full-time.
- In 2013, he released his first mixtape, called ’19 & boom.
- In 2014, the single ‘Tuesday’ sung by ILoveMakonnen and featuring Drake, reached number 12 on ‘Billboard US HOT 100’ chart, second spot on the ‘ Billboard US R&B chart,58th on ‘ Billboard Canadian Hot 100’ chart, 165 on the ‘UK Singles chart. It was certified ‘Platinum’ by ‘RIAA’.
- In 2015, the single ‘Jumpman’ by Future and Drake reached numbers 12, 47, 44, and 58 on the ‘Billboard US Hot 100,’ ‘ARIA,’ and the ‘UK Singles charts. It was certified “4xplatinum” by the ‘RIAA’ and “gold” by the ‘BPI,’ the ‘MC,’ and the ‘ARIA.’.
- In July 2016, he released an EP named ‘Savage Mode’ with 21 Savage. The track ‘No Heart’ was also certified “2xplatinum” by the ‘RIAA’.
- In 2016,’Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1′ by Kanye West reached the 9th rank on the ‘Billboard US Hot Rap chart & was certified “3xplatinum” by the ‘RIAA’ and “gold” by ‘ARIA and ‘RMNZ’.
- The song ‘Bad and Boujee’ by ‘Migos,’ featuring Lil Uzi Vert, was certified “platinum” by the ‘RIAA’. The song ‘Bounce Back’ by Big Sean reached the sixth spot on both the ‘Billboard US Hot 100’ and ‘Billboards US Hot Rap charts.
- In 2017, his song ‘Both’ by Gucci Mane reached number 11 on the ‘Billboard US Hot Rap chart and was certified “platinum” by the ‘RIAA’. The song ‘Congratulations’ by Post Malone reached the eighth, fifth, and third spots.
- In 2017, ‘Mask Off’ song by Future reached the 5th, 3rd, and 2nd spots.
- ‘No-Complaints’ by Offset and Drake reached 22 on the ‘Billboard US Hot Rap chart.
- In 2017, the song ‘Bank Account’ by 21 Savage reached the fifth and the fourth spots on the ‘Billboard US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop charts. It was certified “platinum” by the ‘RIAA’.
- In 2017,he released two studio albums and a mixtape. ‘Without Warning’ song reached the 4th and the 2nd spots on the ‘Billboard US 200’ and the Billboard Top US R&B/Hip-Hop charts. The mixtape was titled ‘Perfect Timing’.
- In March 2018,song called ‘Ric Flair Drip,’ performed by Metro Boomin and Offset, reached 13 on the ‘Billboard Hot 100’. It was from 2017-released album ‘Without Warning’. The song has been certified “3xplatinum” by the ‘RIAA’ and “gold” by the ‘ARIA’.
- Karate Chop was his the first major hit
- Where Ya At
- Low life
- Bad and Boujee
- Mask Off
Awards & Achievements
- ‘ Producer of the Year ’ at ‘The BET Hip Hop Awards ‘ and ‘The BMI R&B/Hip-Hop Awards ‘ in both 2016 & 2017.
Family & Personal Life
- Metro Boomin’s Parents are Lamont and Leslie Boomin. Mr. Lamont Wayne is a businessman by profession and his mother, Mrs. Leslie Joanne Wayne, is a housewife.
- While he was studying in 3rd grade, his parents got divorced and he along with his three siblings were raised by his mother.
- Metro Boomin’s mother was shot dead by her husband or boyfriend who then went on to kill himself. He was not the father of Metro with his father being Lamont Wayne and his mother Leslie Joanna Wayne. The rapper has not spoken out about the current incident.
- Metro Boomin and his mother opened up about their relationship in an interview with The Fader. Leslie, Metro Boomin’s mother, has played a vital part in her son’s life to the point that he is now one of the most successful artists in the world.
- The rapper/producer said he was inspired after listening to every song in his mother’s CD collection. He produced a folder outlining artists and their biographies to better explain whom he wanted to work with.
- Metro Boomin’s mother decided to help out her son by taking him to a music studio every weekend. He produced a folder outlining the names of artists and their biographies to better explain whom he wanted to collaborate with.
- She is believed to go by the name of Chelsea (or _Cottonball_) on Instagram. Chelsea was once a star on the now-dismissed Vine, a video-sharing app.
It is believed that Boomin’s Net worth is about $16 Million.
- He said that his mother chose the name Leland for him when he was born.
- Liam Leyland’s stage name is ‘Metro Boomin’ – the first part of his stage name was coined from the MetroLink (subway system) in St. Louis. The other part came from popular rapper OJ da Juiceman, who gave him the stage name ‘Boomin’.